January 29, 2021
Aromatherapy has lots of benefits when it comes to health. Experts believe certain oils can improve low mood, help you sleep and enable you to relax after a stressful day. Life today is becoming more hectic and people are choosing to find more natural or holistic remedies to help them feel better.
Essential oils are liquids extracted from plant life; fruits, flowers, leaves, roots, and seeds can all provide essential oils that are then formulated to work in harmony with our bodies, promoting wellbeing and naturally boosting our health.
Our new range of aromatherapy candles have been created using expert blends of essential oils to focus on helping improve your body, mind, and spirit. This range not only smells amazing, but each scent has the ability to change your mood — to help you feel good.
Research has shown that the negative emotions we attach to certain situations can be altered or eliminated by aromatherapy. According to Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, in the same way that meditation can produce changes to physiological responses, certain scents can also produce changes to physiological responses. This is because scent has a complex relationship to the brain. Smell has the capacity to cross the blood-barrier and travel to the central nervous system. Through the olfactory system, scents have direct access to the limbic area of the brain, which is termed the “emotional center of the brain.”
Our emotions and our sense of smell are highly attached. So, when you inhale an aromatic candle, a very complex relationship between your sense of smell and your brain is triggered, a powerful relationship that has the ability to enhance your health and your mood.
Some essential oils we use include:
Lavender: A soothing and relaxing scent, lavender has the ability to relieve anxiety, depression, and stress. It is used also to treat headaches and insomnia.
- Reduces Stress – Lavender is used widely for its de-stressing elements. Used to treat the symptoms of migraines, stress and anxiety as well as its prevention of neurological damage.
- Improves Mood – With its anti-stress and anxiety capacity’s, lavender is also said to be a great improver of mood.
- Induces Sleep – One of the most common uses of lavender is to help induce sleep. Lavender oil is commonly sprayed on bedding and pillows to allow for a rested and peaceful night’s sleep.
Lemon: Powerful citrus scents that help to brighten the mood and increase concentration.
- Improves Skin – Lemon oil is known for its skin benefits, helping to reduce acne, nourishing dry and dehydrated skin. People are usually unaware of the healing attributes it carries. Lemon oil is also known for treating blisters, cuts, wounds and rosacea.
- Improves Digestion – The oil that comes from the lemon citrus fruit is the perfect aliment for improving digestion. Improving the speed of digestion and quickening the immune system.
- Relieves Nausea – Known to relieve nausea, commonly among pregnant women experiencing morning sickness, lemon oil is a natural and effective remedy for travel sickness and other nausea related illnesses.
- Boosts Oral Health – Known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties, lemon oil is perfect for improving oral health.
Geranium: A scent that reminds people of being outdoors, geranium has a wonderful effect on the nerves, having calming properties that help with relaxation.
- Stress & anxiety – Sometimes these feelings can get in the way of daily living, the smell of geranium oil can help you feel the calm and grounded.
- Menopause and perimenopause – A study found that geranium essential oil was beneficial at stimulating secretion of salivary oestrogen.
- Fighting infection – Geranium essential oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, making it effective against multiple bacterial strains.
Eucalyptus: With a minty and uplifting smell, eucalyptus helps decongest the nose and provide relief from colds, sinusitis, and allergies. It is emanated also to build energy.
- Improves Respiratory – One of the various essential oils that are said to help with respiratory problems, eucalyptus is known for easing the symptoms of asthma, bronchitis and the common cold.
- Relieves Coughs – Eucalyptus oil is great at easing the itchiness that comes with a cough. Soothing a tickly throat and aiding easier breathing.
- Hair Nourishment – Adding the eucalyptus oil to a little coconut oil and applying to the hair is a great way of adding extra nourishment to the scalp, aiding hair growth.
Peppermint: A scent that everyone is familiar with, peppermint aroma candles can relieve muscle pain, headaches, and digestive problems.
- Relieves Muscle and Joint Pain – With its cooling and invigorating properties as well as having the ability to alleviate tension headaches, peppermint is perfect for relieving muscle and joint pain.
- Unblocks Sinuses – Peppermint carries great respiratory benefits. Inhaling diffused peppermint can unblock mucus and reduce congestion within the sinuses.
- Allergy Relief – One of the more commonly known benefits is that peppermint is an antihistamine. Clearing the respiratory tract and allowing for clean air to flow through the nasal passages.
- Increases Energy – A natural alternative to some energy boosting drinks and tablets, peppermint oil is great at increasing energy levels in the body. Inhaling the natural oil allows the body to perform better, for longer.
There are over 90 commonly used essential oils, with research ongoing to discover more. Have a look at our Wellbeing range to find a candle or wax melt that suits you.